As we begin a new calendar year, we reflect on the successes of the first half of our academic year and look forward to the possibilities that lie ahead for us in the Spring! January is also a time for us to accelerate our planning for the start of another school year in August. This future planning begins with the development of our annual operating budget, a budget aligned with our vision, mission, and core values that will provide the resources to allow our division to build upon our many past successes and our desire to continue to shine as a leader in providing students with an exceptional academic experience.
Our annual budget development process began in October as input was solicited from key division leaders regarding their identified programmatic, personnel, and other resource needs. In addition, our leadership team was asked to critically analyze our current processes to determine whether or not there were opportunities to abandon past practices in an effort to re-allocate funding to newly identified needs. Feedback from our community has also been a part of this budget development process as input was sought from our stakeholders, including staff, citizens, and students regarding their perspective on our division’s budgetary needs. There was a lot of valuable feedback that was shared through this process. The results of this community survey was shared with the Goochland County School Board in November and can be found here.
This Tuesday, January 14, the Goochland County School Board will conduct a budget work session aimed at identifying the many different personnel, programmatic, and resource needs of our school division that have been identified through the process to date. A copy of Dr. Raley’s presentation can be found here. The budget development process will require a prioritization of the future needs of our school division and the utilization of available financial resources in alignment with our division’s identified goals in our strategic plan. These goals include providing the curricular and personnel resources that will enable our school division to maximize each student’s academic potential as we prepare our students for the challenges of learning and working in the modern global economy. Additionally, we will work to provide a total compensation package for our employees that is competitive in our region so that we can ensure that we can retain the incredibly talented professionals we have and attract exceptional candidates when vacancies occur.
Fiscal efficiency and transparency are also critically important as we work to develop our future spending plan. There will be several future meetings where there School Board and the Goochland County Board of Supervisors will be discussing and making decisions regarding next year’s budget. We hope that you are able to join us at the many other upcoming public meetings on our budget.
- January 14th – School Board Work Session – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 5:00 p.m.
- January 21st – School Board Work Session – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 5:30 p.m.
- January 22nd – Joint Work Session with School Board and Board of Supervisors regarding Capital Improvement Plan – Goochland Administration Building, Room 270 – 9:00 a.m.
- January 28 – Presentation of Dr. Raley’s Proposed Budget – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 5:30 p.m.
- February 4th – School Board Work Session – Goochland County Public Schools Central Office –5:30 p.m.
- February 11th – Public Hearing on the Budget – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 6:30 p.m.
- February 18th – County Administrator Presentation of Proposed Budget – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 2:00 p.m.
- February 25th – School Board Approves 2020-2021 Budget – Goochland County Public Schools Central Office – 5:30 p.m.
- March 4th – Presentation of School Board’s Approved Budget to Goochland County Board of Supervisors – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 2:00 p.m.
- March 11th – District 1 Town Hall – Company 4 Fire Station – 7:00 p.m
- March 16th – Districts 2 and 3 Town Hall – Central High School Cultural and Education Complex – 7:00 p.m.
- March 26th – Districts 4 and 5 Town Hall – Virginia Farm Bureau Headquarters – 7:00 p.m.
- April 7th – Board of Supervisors Public Hearing on County Budget – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 7:00 p.m.
- April 21st- Board of Supervisors Approve County Budget – Goochland Administration Building, Room 250 – 2:00 p.m.
Our school division is the beneficiary of a supportive community of employees, parents, citizens, and volunteers who have made an investment of their time, talent, and resources to ensure that our students are provided the resources and opportunities that they need in order to receive an exceptional education. Thank you for the part that you play in making this possible!