The Capital Improvement Planning Process
The Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) is the Goochland County School Board’s plan for additions, renovations and improvements to existing facilities, the construction of new facilities, and the purchase of new equipment over the next 25 fiscal years. The Capital Improvement Plan is separate from the annual operating budget as it includes any proposed public construction, land acquisition, building improvements, or equipment purchases with a value greater than $50,000. This CIP summarizes anticipated school projects by year, by cost, and by recommended funding source.
CIP items are developed in response to the need for additional student capacity, changing technology and communication needs, curriculum and programmatic needs and necessary improvements to existing facilities. This CIP sets forth needs and priorities to align facility development with anticipated revenues, growth, and the community’s ability to provide funding. The CIP attempts to fund a significant portion of capital improvements through the County savings plan and follows the County financial guidelines to limit the ratio of debt service as a percent of general fund expenditures not to exceed ten percent.
The Current (2022-2046) CIP Documents
- Summary/Detail 27-year CIP Plan by Facility as approved by School Board (Dec. 8, 2020)
- County Summary 25-year CIP Plan, as approved by County (Education, April 2020, reduced for FY2021 because of global pandemic and anticipated recession)
- Summary/Detail 28-year CIP Plan by Facility as approved by School Board (Dec. 10, 2019)
- Summary 25-year CIP Plan by Facility, as approved by County (April 2019)
- Summary 30-year CIP Plan by Facility as approved by School Board (Dec. 12, 2018)
Historical CIP Documents
During the fall of 2017 both the County and the Schools engaged in a comprehensive 25 year capital planning process. The County published a series of documents at the end of this process, specifically the County FY2019 Budget document (with Schools starting on page 355). However, the Schools have a number of related documents and presentations specific to Goochland County Public Schools:
- Long Term Facility Plan Presentation to School Board (October 10, 2017)
- Preliminary Detailed 25-year CIP Plan by Facility (Dec. 4, 2017)
- Summary 25-year CIP Plan by Facility as approved by School Board (Dec. 12, 2017)
- Goochland County Master Facilities Plan (January 2018, Schools start on page 33)
- Goochland County Capital Impact Plan (February 2018, Schools start on page 28)